Saturday, February 5, 2011

something's gotta get me started...

Several months ago, I found myself bored and desiring so much more for my life. I applied for a position at a medical clinic just for kicks and giggles. The postion entailed filing charts, making copies, and shredding paper. I don't know why I applied. I'm mostly happy with the job I have now. I know this clinic will never call me...which makes me realize that I am putting effort into things that will get me virtually nowhere. I'm sick of reality. Now, I'm going to make this sound as humble as possible, but I feel that I'm fairly intelligent. I possess the knowledge and skills to do a lot of different things and what I don't know, I tend to learn quickly. So please, someone explain to me why me not having a piece of paper that says I have experience in certain fields disqualifies me from even getting a phone call or an interview to prove to people that I'm worthy of doing the job that I applied for (assuming they aren't going to even consider). So maybe they are looking for someone with a bit more expertise, but also, did you know that some places looking for a receptionist require like 3 years of experience? In what- answering phones? Filing papers? Using a fax machine? Who knew you had to have a college education to alphabatize. It doesn't take a rocket scientist. I've also thought about maybe working at a newspaper or something. I like to think (keyword, think) I have excellent writing skills- I use good grammar and I have better spelling skills than most people my age, but because I'm only 21, don't have a degree in English and don't have experience in editing...I'm not even going to attempt. Tell me I'm not the only person that thinks this is ridiculous. I am more than qualified to do a lot of different jobs, but the reality of life is that no one will take you seriously if you're under 25, don't have a degree, don't have years of experience, or don't have any connections.

Maybe I need a degree in english.

I don't like feeling restricted or stuck. (side note: there's this pesky little bug that's been flying around me, and I'm pretty sure I just choked on him then swallowed him...) I feel restricted creatively because I can't get a few hours to myself to be totally comfortable and relaxed enough to just let some ideas flow for writings. I'm also restricted in my sleeping habits- no matter how early I turn off the lights and lay in my bed, I will not fall asleep until at least an hour after I lay down. that's just a fact I'm learning to accept. 

All in all i'm just frustrated.

My eyes are heavy.

and good news- I didn't swallow that bug. He is back to flying around my head again.

No comments:

Post a Comment